Childhood obesity is growing at an alarming rate in the U.S. You have only to sit in the parking lot of Wal-Mart or any Supermarket to see home many of us are struggling with obesity. If your child needs you lose weight, you are not alone. Throughout the United States, there is an epidemic of obesity. The greatest victims of this epidemic of obesity are our children! Sadly many schools have cut their gym program and instead of our children getting at least one hour of exercise they get none!
I myself had slowly become obese myself. Not until my doctor told me I was prediabetic did I get serious about my weight and lost 35 pounds by a change of diet and exercise. When I lost the weight three amazing things happened. I was no longer prediabetic, my blood pressure was normal and I could walk without getting exhausted!
It’s Not Your Fault
It is not your fault! The fast-food industry has seduced us with easy to get foods high in calories and short on true nutrition. If you are 50 of over, you remember that you did not see so many overweight children or adults in the 50’s or 60s’.
I remember when McDonald’s opened their fir store in my town. We were so excited to get burgers, fries, and milkshakes at such a low cost. It was with the rise of fast food restaurants that we begin to become bigger and more unhealthy. Like I said it was not your fault. Back then we didn’t know we were being manipulated by quick and easy meals and the night off from cooking.
We were tricked, bamboozled and now we are addicted and have to fight to get our lives and health back. The saddest this thing about this whole thing is our children have been greatly affected by the fast food industry.
Childhood Obesity Facts
” The prevalence of obesity was 8.9% among 2- to 5-year-olds compared with 17.5% of 6- to 11-year-olds and 20.5% of 12- to 19-year-olds. Childhood obesity is also more common among certain populationsThe prevalence of obesity has remained fairly stable at about 17% and affects about 12.7 million children and adolescents.” New CDC Statistics
Many of us were taught to overeat, out of guilt that someone in another country had nothing at all. ” Eat all your food, don’t you know people in China are starving? ” Another difference between now and 40 years ago is, there were no computers, social media, cable TV, or smartphones, to keep our children isolated and indoors.
Today children are sitting at a computer, on their cell phone or in front of the TV instead of running, playing, tag, jumping rope, etc. Our children are hooked on bad food and the dealers are the fast-food pushers on every street corner.
How Can I Reverse Childhood Obesity?
- Take back your Child’s Life and Health! Parents are the key to keeping the family healthy. You are the protector and advocate for your children. These steps below and help you get your child and family back on track to a healthier lifestyle.
- New House Rules. Get the family together and let them know what is going on and what to expect. Give children flexible healthy choices.
- Take your Child to the Pediatrician. The doctor will make sure something else going with your child like thyroid problems of diabetes.
- Speak to a Nutritionist – A licensed nutritionist can guide you and give you a good health plan.
- Severely cut down, stop eating fast-food, or order from the healthy, low-calory menu. See I gave you three choices!
- Find out what Foods are Healthy. To prevent childhood obesity, parents must understand how to feed children in a way to give them healthy choice without feeding empty calories.
- Make HealthyFood Fun. Be creative, experiment prepare quality, healthy meals. You are in a learning process. Nothing is hard and fast. Choose healthy foods you like. Encourage your child to try new foods.
- Start good Eating Habits at Infancy. Taste preferences are established when we are young. If you get your child accustomed to eating fresh fruits and vegetables and little or no candy, they will grow up desiring the healthy alternative.
- Insist your Children Drink Water. Also, offer chocolate lower fat milk (2%) Excess sugar and food dyes can produce hyperactivity or make ADD or ADHD symptoms worse. Water flushes toxins out of your child’s brain and body.
- Provide slices of Fruit or Vegetables. Offer a yogurt for a dipping sauce. Many sweet and salty snacks are unhealthy, high in calories and provide little or no nutritional value and can cause obesity.
- Remove junk food from your Home. Kids tend to eat what is in the house. They will protest but eventually turn to healthier snacks. Remember they are retraining their taste buds.
- Lead by Example. An obese parent will often raise obese children, because of poor eating habits. Change how the whole family eats so no one feels ostracized or singled out.
- Encourage your Child to get out and Move. Do not allow your child to eat in front of the TV or computer. Have a family meal at the table. Children who exercise actually do better in school and have a greater ability to concentrate.
- Make Exercise a Family Event. Make exercise fun for the kids. Dont tell them they have to walk or exercise. Why not suggest a family game of kick ball. Now you have created a bonding time for the family as well as giving them the exercise they need.